Maharashtra has always been one of the fastest developing states of the country. Aurangabad, Headquarters of the Marathwada Region of Maharashtra, is one of the most important and emerging districts in the country having tremendous potential to make significant contribution to national growth.
- Aurangabad and Marathwada region account for the largest number of heritage monuments in the state and therefore is considered as Tourist Capital of Maharashtra.
- It is the only district of India having two-world heritage monuments-Ajanta and Ellora, that is complimented by numerous other heritage monuments, Nature / Water Tourism, religious and cultural destinations and products.
- Today, Aurangabad has an annual inflow of around 50 lakh tourists including foreign tourist at 35 tourist locations / attractions.
Connectivity, Basic infrastructure at tourist sites and Lack of publicity
Aurangabad district is synonymous with history culture and heritage monuments hence with tourism. The UNESCO declared World Heritage sites of Ellora and Ajanta not only attracts national but international tourists. The city has been declared and deservedly so as the Tourism Capital of Maharashtra. The tag of Tourism Capital hasn’t brought the necessary benefits or upgrades to City’s tourism or physical infrastructure. We all know the dismal conditions of city roads, non-existing footpaths, signage and information boards.
- Government should speed up ICONIC Sites project of Ajanta and Ellora and give some funds for maintenance, conservation of these caves.
- State Government should strive to get UNESCO Heritage City tag for city as promised.
- Development of Exhibition cum Convention Centre at Aurangabad which can host international level exhibitions in city.
- Good quality roads and Proper international quality signage and information boards guiding tourists to various monuments.
- Promoting Aurangabad as a destination for business meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Development of Air, Rail and Road connectivity which can improve tourist inflow and make Aurangabad more accessible to domestic and international travelers.
- Establishment of Tourism Authority in Aurangabad for promotion of tourism through institutional mechanism.
- Organised State owned Ajanta-Ellora Aurangabad International Festival.